Location: Upper Mission, Kelowna, BC
This 17-year-old home was trendsetting at the time it was built. It was the first house constructed in its subdivision. Today, it’s nonfunctional for the growing family’s needs. The kitchen is dated with inefficient lighting and space and mom dreams of new appliances, a pantry and an inviting gathering place for family to congregate. Add a bar nook off the kitchen and the family hub is complete. Make your way to the master bedroom and through to the ensuite, it’s evident this room needed a facelift. With the main floor bathroom next to the ensuite, this was an ideal space to expand. Relocate the dreary main bathroom to an unused bedroom, the results? Astonishing! One last space to update – an extremely small laundry room and the job is complete.
- Due to extensive changes to reconfigure and update the open concept living area we removed the entire ceiling to replace the wiring, install new insulation, vapour barrier and lighting all to current building standard codes.
- Moving the main bathroom to an unused bedroom was an efficient use of space. This also allowed us to use the main bath to extend the master ensuite.
- In the new ensuite we created a unique tub/shower room with extensive use of tile.
- In the master bedroom, there was a need for more closet space so a new walk-in closet was created.
- The new spacious main bathroom now had room for a soaker tub and large walk-in shower.
- We removed the eighties style 3 sided glass fireplace that interfered with flow from living room to dining room. A new rock feature wall with fireplace was created giving the room warmth and style.
- For style and design flow, there was a considerable amount of tile used throughout using common colour and composition.
- Windows on the view side were reconfigured by adding more windows that were larger, more energy efficient and now captured the outdoors.
- Environmentally – LED lighting was added throughout, insulation was upgraded, energy efficient appliances replaced the old and UV windows were installed.
Silver Tommie Award – Excellence in Residential Renovations $100,000-$250,000